Accessing Emergency Relief


The unprecedented nature of the COVID-19 crisis means that many Western Australians are now facing financial hardship, including those that may never have been in this situation before.
There are a number of community organisations throughout the state that provide emergency relief to people experiencing financial hardship, in the form of food vouchers, bill payment support and more.

The free-call Emergency Relief and Food Access Service is here to support you in identifying and applying for emergency relief.

Contact us on 1800 979 777 from 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays), or alternatively by lodging an online enquiry if you are unable to make a phone call.

Emergency Relief assistance is available to support you:

  • If you are struggling to put food on the table
  • If you are facing overdue bills
  • If you have used  your savings to pay for daily expenses due to COVID-19
  • If you have experienced a reduction in income

You may be eligible even if you are not receiving Centrelink income support.

What to expect when calling the Emergency Relief and Food  Access Service:

  1. Your call will be answered by our experienced financial support workers who will listen to your story
  2. We will work with you to identify relief in your area that you may be eligible for, based on your specific needs
  3. We will connect you with a local relief provider
    • If your local relief provider is one of our many partners, we will collect your details and work with your provider behind the scenes to process your request
    • If we do not have a local partner in your area, we will give you the contact information for a local provider who can assist you
  4. Your relief provider will contact you to advise when you can expect your support to arrive
  5. If you give permission, we can also link you up with other support services such as:
    • Counselling
    • Legal support
    • Housing assistance

If you would like to research what emergency relief providers are available in your own community, visit the Western Australian Council of Social Services’ online directory here

What to have ready when making the call:

Our staff will need to collect some details from you, so make sure you have some identification with you when you call.

Please have at hand:

  • A form of identification, such as your driver’s license
  • Your Medicare card or Centrelink card
  • If you are seeking assistance with overdue bills, please make sure to have these handy as well